The start of many thing's to come...

Basically decided to create this blog to keep a record of all my University work neatly and tidily in one place! Currently studying at Staffordshire University (Stafford Campus) doing a Computer Games Design Degree! So this blog will mainly consist of many 3D artwork and maybe some of my programming work from previous years.

Feel free to comment or suggest anything and be honest. Bad feedback is better than no feedback!

Tuesday 19 October 2010

Tutorials from 3ds Max Modeling for Games

Share
Right so here I will be posting all my completed work from the great looking book by Andrew Gahan entitled, 3ds Max Modeling for Games.  This is part of my recommended reading by my Tutor and as I am trying to be a model student lately I will try and get this entire book finished!

Chapter 1
Low-poly Asset 1(30 minute tutorial) - Took a little longer as I was trying to juggle a book with one hand and my laptop with the other (Must buy some kind of book rest holder)

In this tutorial I was to create a box, apply texture maps, UVW map it and then do some simple renders.  *Excited* This is actually the first time I have got to do some texturing in 3ds Max, which I have been so eager to do.

So here is the first render (remember click to enlarge images)
and finally another render but showing the under side of the box

Chapter 2
Low-poly Asset 2 (1-hour tutorial) - I wish it had only taken this long

Well this tutorial was full of stuff to do from different types of boolean techniques to Target welding and using object properties to make things see-through and backface cull options.  The idea was to create a barrel with all of these tools.

All in all not too bad, was quite difficult compared to the box but I got through it.  It is not 100% perfect and in fact it's far from it but I decided that at my current stage of modelling I should not b too worried and just get on with it.

Again 2 rendered pictures, the first showing the top and front and the second showing the bottom

Top

Bottom


3 comments:

  1. Hi Bert, have you been on the forum too? www.3d-for-games.com/forum

    It's good to see you progressing so quickly, let me know ojn the forum if you need any help. Andy Gahan

    p.s. what course are you on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol - i just read the blog properly - you're at Stafford :) Also to get up to speed quickly, have you seen the 'Max in Minutes' series of videos that I did for focal press?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andy, no I have not been on this forum yet but certainly will be checking this out and the 'Max in Minutes'

    Thanks for the suggestions oh and great book really enjoying this!

    ReplyDelete