I will not be posting the entire diary as most of this is hand written but some of the separate sketches/drawings I will scan in and show you :)
The first Picture is a birds eye view of one half of my map. The entire map will be symmetrical which continues the theme of UT3 (Part of my criteria) plus this will halve build time which is always good.
It's only a first draft so may not be 100% accurate to what I finally make but 95% sure this will be the final result.
Map shows weapon placements, general structure of buildings and object positions. The design was based on a map from another game that I liked the layout of and then modified to fit the criteria of an interview I had with a hardcore Unreal player which can be found in the diary.
One Half Of Map
- Missing Blocking Volume added near flag
- Changed centre lifts to jump pad
- Dynamic Lights added to all movers to stop shading affects (Doors and lifts)
- Base arrows added in more places to help with navigation. Also added base symbols
- Post process volumes inside bases, which I have changed the property values of the shading to tint a blue/red colour respectively.
- Terrain smoothed out
- Changed slime volume to have Bio weapon blob texture as I always wanted it to look like it was radioactive
- Foliage Volume....added to Fire Hydrant with 2 Bio weapon static meshes to multiply around the hydrant giving a leek effect
- Removed weapon locker which was for test purposes only and replaced with rocket
- "Terrain still too pointy."
- "Needs health in centre of map."
- "All this open space and no guns!, just ammo and armour."
- Smoothed out Terrain even more
- Added Health in centre of map. Positioned this above the slime as I felt it was not needed but as it was requested I obliged. With this being above slime it gives the player a penalty if they miss the health they could land in the slime and further injure themselves.
- Sun Height fog (Tinted yellow)
- A grey misty fog for sky and mountains
- A lighter grey mist on floor
- Bots seem to have problems with the Jump pad section (Getting up and down). A simple fix to help bots getting down would be too add path nodes on each ledge
- Lighting....Although in editor mode before cooking the lighting was exactly how I wanted it. After cooking however, the lighting all seemed to darken.
- Bio rifle texture/Static mesh. I was rushed to cook the final version and hand in at the end and forgot to create and save this to my own package. So when in editor mode when you try and close this it will ask you save this package.
- Dynamic Lights. Unamed_1 channel selected in light settings and movers so the dynamic light only affects these static mesh's and not everything within the light region
- Textures. Most of the textures on the map which took up the most space (memory) were selected and Light map resolution was overridden 32
- Skydome. Turned off blocking Volumes and Shading Properties
- Static Mesh. Selected all static mesh's that do not need dynamic light and switched off any properties that had to do with dynamic lighting...bacceptdynamiclights, bcastdynamicshadows etc
- Earth and Moon. Would only accept dynamic lighting so I added an extra directional light to the sky. Changed it to a dynamic light and changed properties for light, earth and moon to also use the unamed_1 lighting channel.