With things finally settling and recently starting a new job I am getting back some free time to motivate myself and get back into modelling. The itch came back when I started my new job 3 weeks ago and the guy I work with happens to have a massive interest in game programming.
After lots of conversations I offered to build something for him to use whilst he getting to grasp C sharp. He wanted a ship for a side scrolling 2d game and expressed his love of the viper from Battlestar Galactica. I started where I always start and that was on google images for some good reference images
IssuesSo yea it's been a while and 3ds max has changed 'for the better' quite a lot. Icons have all changed which freaked me out at first but I soon realised all the keyboard shortcuts were the same and my muscle memory prevailed. Unfortunately My first attempt was pretty bad, I didn't really see this fact until I tried a unwrap modifier and saw how bad the UVs were
NextSo this is where I am currently at. over this weekend I should hopefully get building a high poly version as I want to create a nice Normal Map for the low poly to give it that detailed crisp look but keep my poly count low currently standing at 638
Well Lesson is definitely learned but as I am in a rush to move on to other projects I am simply going to ignore the errors and work around it.
Next I am going to carry on with the diffuse map adding proper textures from some photos and then finish the highpoly model for the normals map